Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tennessee Waltz


As requested, here are the templates for a Tennessee Waltz quilt--my eternal king-size UFO, aka my brother's wedding quilt. The photo above is from Quilt in a Day. I wanted to show you what the pattern looks like if you are unfamiliar. There are two blocks, both of which I made 12" finished. One is a snowball block. I cut four 4 1/2" squares and one 12 1/2" square for each of these blocks. I draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of the smaller squares. These go in every corner. The diagonal line should go from raw edge to raw edge of the larger square. I sew on the marked line and 1/2" from the marked line. I press, fold back into original position, and then cut down the middle of my two sewn lines. The excess I cut away makes extra half square triangles you can use for a border or another quilt project. The next block I create by sewing together width of fabric (44") 2 1/2" strips of the color used for the 12 1/2" square of the other block and another color. I sew together their long sides with a 1/4" seam and press toward the dark. I crosscut at 2 1/2" making 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles. I use tow of these to make each four patch in the corners of the block. The center block is a 4 1/2" square cut from a 4 1/2" width of fabric strip. The remaining pieces of the block are created using the C, D, and E templates below. C & D are reverse of each other, so you don't really need both if you remember to make an equal number of each smaller triangle by flipping your template over. If your templates printed at the correct size, B should measure 4 1/2" with the seam allowance. A should measure 2 1/2" with the seam allowance. These are used for checking the accuracy of your print-out only. I like to print my templates onto full sheet label paper, Adhere this to a cutting mat from Dollar Tree, and cut them out. This removes the need for tracing and expensive template material.


No comments:

Post a Comment